Don’t want all the carbs that regular potatoes have? But still want the great comfort food that is a nice cheesy and thick potato soup? Well, look no further, because I have made a delicious Faux Loaded Potato Soup! There were absolutely NO potatoes harmed in the writing of this post! But… there was a LOT of cauliflower carnage! And it was good!
Why would you want to do such a thing?!
Why?! Well… If you have been following the Zion Family Homestead Facebook Page, you’d know that I, Lala, the matriarch here on the homestead, have decided to finally lose weight. I’ve done it before. Lost 60 lbs counting calories and exercise. And I hated it! It was not a lifestyle change I could make. Since then I’ve also gone on programs that that are 12 step program for those addicted to sugar. Again, not a lifestyle I could maintain.
But why? You may ask. Because it’s hard. AND I want my chocolate!! The other day, at church, Banana had some fruit snacks. I was teasing her and asking if those were for me, and she said, “NO! This isn’t chocolate!” even the littlest of the kidlets know their Lala 😉
Whatever did you do, you ask?
I searched. A LOT! I thought. A LOT. I agonized. A LOT. And then I found it! I found a diet, a lifestyle change, that I think I can stick with. It’s called Trim Healthy Mama, THM for short! And, while it is a no sugar diet, it allows CHOCOLATE (picture me crowing as I say the word!)! It’s not keto, but keto meals will fit in with it. As I said, it allows NO sugar, but you can have certain sweeteners!
So the main premise of THM is that you separate carby meals from fatty meals. Those meals are referred to as E (energizing/has carbohydrates in it) meals and S (satisfying/containing higher quantity of fat) meals. You eat either one or the other, and never the twain shall meet. UNTIL you are as skinny as you want. Well, that’s how I look at it anyway. You can ‘cheat’ if you want. This diet, is very forgiving. However, if you want to lose the weight faster, you gotta keep ’em separated!
Is there a point to all this?
OK, OK! I’ll give more info on other recipe posts as I write them! So now, onto the Faux Loaded Potato Soup! I found a great website with a LOT of recipes for THM, including this one! I did make a few changes, however, for three reasons.
- 1) I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand
- 2) didn’t like all the ingredients called for
- 3) am kind of returning to my vegetarian ways. I’m not wanting to buy as much meat as I’ve been doing (so it’s meatless however you can add chicken if you’d like, as well as, use bacon like the recipe calls for). So this also means I’m eating a LOT of our General Tso!
Enough already, I want the recipe!
Ok, you’ve got it! Without further commentary, here it is! My version of a THM, low carb, comfort food. Faux Loaded Potato Soup
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 head Cauliflower I used 1.5 bag of frozen cauliflower
- 1 quart Water divided
- 16 oz package radishes
- 2 sm onion or 1 large sliced
- 2-3 T bouillon your choice as to which kind
- 1 tsp black pepper
- .5 tsp dill weed
- .5 tsp ground sage
- to taste Cilantro I prefer chives, so that's what we did!
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 strips cooked bacon I used bacon bits
- 8 oz package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 8 oz assorted cheese I usually use a mixture of whatever I have on hand
- In a large covered saucepan, steam the head of cauliflower (chopped into florets) in 1 cup of water.
- Trim the ends off the radishes and cut them in half.
- Add them to a blender with 3 cups of water and pulse a few times until they are in chunks of the desired size.
- Add the radishes and their water, the chopped onion, chicken bouillon, pepper, dill weed, sage, cilantro (chives), and garlic to a large soup kettle (cover while cooking).
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- When the cauliflower is very soft, blend it, water and all, in a blender with the cream cheese.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to the soup kettle with the cooked radishes and seasonings.
- Grate the cheese.
- Add the cheese.
- Don't forget to stir!
- Heat until the cheese melts.
- Feel free to add more liquid to thin down the soup if desired.