Need whole wheat buns in a hurry, but don’t think it’ll be quick or easy? You were too swamped to make them, or maybe someone forgot to buy them? I would like to share another one of my favorite whole wheat recipes with you – my Quick and Easy Whole Wheat Buns. This recipe can be used to make hamburger buns, hot dog buns, sandwich buns, or even dinner rolls. They are delicious and quick to make; it only takes about 30-40 minutes from start to finish.
I love this recipe because I’m often so busy I may not otherwise feel like I have time to make buns or rolls, and, I’ll admit, sometimes I forgot I needed to make them until it was ‘too late’ with other recipes. That’s ok, though, because this recipe is so fast, your family doesn’t need to know. You can even skip being mad at your husband for forgetting to buy the buns!
(Please note, some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we are given a small commission for sales through those links, at no extra cost to you. We only ever link products we love.)
Why this recipe is how it is
Once again, I couldn’t find a perfect recipe for what I wanted, so I made my own. I made this recipe using fresh ground wheat, honey, and olive oil – because they are healthier, more natural, and better for long term storage. All important considerations for us here. Likewise, as usual, I speed things along for myself with my Bosch mixer with its dough hook attachment. You can use any kind of flour for this recipe, you may just need to adjust the amount a little. I consistently prefer whole wheat flour ground fresh from hard white wheat berries. Sugar in place of honey is fine, too, and really, I find the type of oil generally makes little difference to the end product.
Handy tips for “Perfect Buns”
When baking, I like to use parchment paper on my baking sheets to make sure nothing sticks. It works well and is easy to clean up, which is always a good thing. I also like to put a layer of aluminum foil on the top rack above what I am baking to make sure the tops don’t get too brown. You can take it off during the last couple of minutes of baking if you want a browner top.
I use this recipe all the time, and I’m sure you’ll find it delicious and useful, too.
|Prep Time||20-25 minutes|
|Cook Time||7-10 minutes|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease or line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the yeast in warm water until dissolved.
- Add honey and oil. Mix and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and egg. Mix again.
- Add freshly ground whole wheat flour, and mix or knead for about 5 minutes. The 4 1/2 cups of fresh ground flour is approximately 3 cups of hard white wheat berries
- Immediately divide dough into 12 pieces and shape as desired: For rolls, just roll into balls. For hamburger buns, roll into balls then flatten. For Hot Dog Buns, roll into logs.
- Place on prepared baking tray and bake for 7-10 minutes on center rack.
- Enjoy your Quick and Easy Whole Wheat Buns!